Starting from scratch in an elite fitness-blog-world full of expensive gear, and Personal Records she couldn't beat with a car.

Friday, February 1, 2013

Jawa needs a new pair of shoes!

The Saucony Progrid Hurricane 15s are coming out so the 14s are starting to go on sale! I have a little bit of mad money available right now so I am going for it while the going's good.
I currently have this black and orchid version of the 14 with close to 200 miles on them.
I figured I should get a new pair so I can start alternating to spread out the wear. I think it's pretty safe to assume that at current mileage this will give me a good two to three years before I have to buy another pair, and then I won't have to be going straight from one dead busted pair to a brand new one.

I'm generally bad about trashing possessions  that seem like they might still have even the tiniest bit of use, so I'm hoping that with newer shoes for comparison I'll actually be able to feel when it's really time to retire the old pair.

That's the theory anyway.

There's a certain point when you look at an old possession next to its new counterpart and the petulant seven year old inside voice changes from "but these are COMFORTABLE" to  "but I don't WANNA use the old one!" and that's an important moment to pick up on. Over the last few years I've even started following through that realization with "so I... don't need to keep them anymore!" and once in a very great while I throw something out.

So I'm clearly totally cured of the hoarding thing!

Yup. totally cured.

http://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Shirt-Hoarders-Juniors-T-Shirt/dp/B006R6028Q
*ahem* Anyway...

I was thinking about poking around at different brands, but really between my beginner status, preference for pavement, tendency to over-pronate, and need for the maximum in toe wiggle room, (all of which are particular strengths in the Pro-Grid Hurricane) it would be pretty silly to push the luck I have had with my current shoes.  

With that in mind I just scored this pink and black version of the 14 via kellysrunningwarehouse.com for $80 with free shipping.  
Mine, all mine!
Honestly, the colours on the new 15s are ATROCIOUS, the pricetag is eye-twitchingly high, and the functional changes are pretty minimal so I can't say I'm too terribly upset about getting proven shoes on sale instead of something all Exciting and New.

That's right, I went there.
The 15s come out this month so most sites are still selling the 14s for full price (around $140-ish). The designs are so similar (and yet somehow uglier?) that I don't see the price dropping much on the 14s for a while. Even so I will be keeping an eye on things and I figure if I can score at least one more backup pair within the next year and a half-ish I will be SET.

I really would have preferred to get some sort of aqua, green, or blue as I'm a touch pinked out at the moment. I literally just got rid of the pink hair yesterday so I'm back to a nice subdued bombshell platinum! But based on the yawn level of everything they have in blue that must be the designated "safe" (BORING) colour in the Saucony line and green is... apparently only for boys?

I'm still mad I can't get the same glorious highlighter chartreuse they have in the men's line.
Seriously, this would be my JAM

2 comments:

  1. My new Nikes have the neon green with a black base and i love them. I used to have only white shoes with usually pink or melon, but black makes SO much more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to get something with blue so I was looking at these
    http://www.activelyyours.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Saucony_Hurricane_14_W_lg.jpg

    I *do* like the particular aqua colour they chose (and the lime accents) but there's just SO MUCH silver and white on the shoe that all I could think of is what the cuffs of my socks look like at the end of a run. :p

    Besides, if I'm spending more on my sneakers ON SALE than I am on dress heels they better be DEAD SEXY.

    ReplyDelete